Dr. S. Basil Rajan, M.A., Ph.D.
Kanyakumari Rural Development Society
Mr. S. Basil Rajan is a native of Kanyakumari District -the project area and hence he is familiar with people of the area. After successful completion of his post-graduation in English in Scott Christian college, Nagercoil,-the same project area, he had worked in North Arcot Rural Development Society (NARD) for one year, and is now working with the people of Kanyakumari District for the past 24 years. During his educational carrier he has been an active member of National Service Scheme, Planning Forum, and Social Service League. During his carrier as social worker, he had attended various Rehabilitation Trainings conducted by Government of Tamil Nadu, Spastics Society of Tamilnadu, Chennai, Handicap International, Pondicherry, Helpage India, Chennai etc., Through Kanyakumari Rural Development Society, he had implemented Animation Programs, Community Health Programs, Mother and Child Health Programs, Community Based Rehabilitation Programs, Training Programs on Early Intervention – Detection, Identification and Rehabilitation Programs, to the Government Village Health Nurses and Integrated Child Development Scheme Workers. He had served at different levels and held different posts in the Diocesan Pastorial Council of Kottar for three years. He had served as the secretary of the Parish Council of Christ the Kings Church, Christ Nagar, Nagercoil, for to consecutive terms (Ten years). He has been serving as the Member of Tamil Nadu Voluntary Health Association –a State level Network of Non- Governmental organization implementing and promoting health programs and he has been serving as the District Coordination committee member for the same. He has been serving as the District Mental Health Co ordination Committee Member, under the Chairmanship of the District Collector. Now he had motivated and Organized the Non-Governmental Organizations working for the disabled in Kanyakumari District and have formed a Network and is named as Kanyakumari District Disabled Development Network (KDDN) 26 organizations [both Institution Based Rehabilitation (IBR) and Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR) working] have registered their names in KDDN and KDDN is meeting on the second Saturday of every month.
• LEADERSHIP TRAINING, NARD Society, North Arcot District.
• COMMUNITY WORKERS TRAINING-NARD Society, North Arcot District.
• PROJECT MANAGERS TRAINING, Handicap International, Pondicherry,
• REHABILITATION FOR THE ELDERS, Help Age India, Chennai.
• CO – ORDINATORS TRAINING, NARD Society, North Arcot District.
• PROJECT MANAGERS TRAINING, Conducted by Indian Social Institute (ISI)Bangalore.
• BASIC COUNSELING SKILLS, FOR STAFF MANAGEMENT, Indian Social Institute, Bangalore.
• HEALTH WORKERS TRAINING, Tamil Nadu Voluntary Health Association, Chennai.
• REHABILITATION WORKERS TRAINING, SPASTN, Chennai.
• WORKSHOP FOR PREPARATION OF IEC MATERIALS, TNVHA, Chennai.
• PROMOTING ACCESS FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES (Workshop) SPASTN, Chennai.
• WORKSHOP ON PLANNING CURRICULUM AND DESIGN, SPASTN, Chennai.
• WORKSHOP ON IMPLEMENTING INCLUSION IN MAINSTREAM SCHOOLS, SPASTIN, Chennai.
• EARLY DETECTION AND EARLY INTERVENTION (Training) SPASTN, Chennai.
• Workshop on “NEURO DEVELOPMENT THERAPY AND SENSORY INTEGRATION”, SPASTN, Chennai.
• HEALTH WORKERS TRAINING FOR AIDS CONTROL AND PREVENTION, TNVHA, Chennai.
• SEMINAR PREPARATION TRAINING ON PREVENTION OF DISABILITIES.
• ANIMATORS AND HEALTH WORKERS TRAINING, NARD society, North Acrot District.
• Workshop on “INCOME SECURITY FOR THE ELDERS” organised by Helpage India, Chennai.
• BEST OUTGOING STUDENTS AWARD in the year 1983 in Scott Christian College, Nagercoil.
• DISTRICT COLLECTOR PRESENTED A MEMENTO in 1999 for the Service to the Disabled.
• NATIONAL STATUS AWARD FOR SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT- 2007 by Health and Education Development Association, New Delhi.
• RASHTRIYA GAURAV RATAN AWARD -2007 by Economic and Human Resource Development Association, New Delhi .
• BHARAT NAV NIRMAN RATAN AWARD by Nations Economic for Health and Educational Growth, New Delhi.
• RASHTRIYA SAMMAN PURASKAR AWARD by Indian Society for Industry and Intellectual Development, New Delhi.
• TAMIL NADU GAURAV RATAN AWARD -2008 by Intellectual people and Economic Growth Association, New Delhi.
• INTERNATIONAL ACHIEVER’S AWARD by Indian Achievers Forum, New Delhi.
• Honorary Doctorate by Open International University, Colombo, Srilanka.
• COMMUNITY SERVICE EXCELLENCE AWARD by Alliance Clubs Inte rnational, Nagercoil. • MOTHER THERESA AWARD – 2012 by Tamilnadu Federation of Voluntary Associations – Kanyakumari. • GOOD PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATE AND AWARD by Sri Ramakrishna Math, Chennai. • DR. N.D JEYASEHARAN AWARD for good performance, Dr. Jeyaseharan Medical Trust, Nagercoil.